Many people in Dartford are still struggling to make ends meet because of the government’s failure to tackle the cost-of-living crisis and make work pay. Yet on Monday our Tory MP Gareth Johnson said he wants to stick with the same old polices that are failing residents. Presumably our MP will have no problem declaring his support for the following:
- The hiring of private firm ATOS to reassess vulnerable people for disability benefit only to have them languishing in uncertainty and stress thanks to a backlog of 780,000.
- Child poverty in families with a single parent working full-time rising from 17% in 2011-2012 to 22% in 2012-2013.
- £131 Million being written off because of the botched introduction of Universal Credit.
- Introducing a Bedroom Tax that forces people out of homes they’ve lived in for years.
- Over a Million people forced to rely on foodbanks.
Dartford deserves someone who will speak out for them and face up to real struggles people are facing. In the last four years Gareth Johnson has:
- Voted against a freeze on electricity bills
- Voted against introducing a higher increase to the minimum wage
- Voted against a ban on rip off fees by letting agents
- Voted against slowing down the rise in rail fares.
While at the same time…
- He supported an increase to VAT that hits ordinary families in Dartford while voting against a tax on bankers bonuses
- He supported the unfair Bedroom Tax
- He supported higher university tuition fees
Dartford’s cost of living crisis is far from over and Gareth Johnson and his friends in government have done little to help Dartford residents tackle it. Only Labour will introduce measures that will stand up to vested interests and reform our economy so it works for everyone – not just a few at top. We deserve an MP that that is on Dartford’s side. Simon Thomson – Labour’s prospective Parliamentary Candidate – says: ‘Mr Johnson’s record shows he doesn’t care about the issues affecting people in Dartford. So many of us are struggling to make ends meet at the moment. But Mr Johnson makes things worse by his backing government’s vindictive policies which just hurt ordinary families, do little to address this country’s real problems.”